Saturday 8 September 2012

8th September

I had fish and chips last night and a bottle of wine so my immediate reaction when I woke up was "I'll go out on the bike later". The grand prix qualifying was due to start at 12:00 and it was 9:30 so I convinced myself to just get it done!

Sarah, Jason, and the kids arrived in a sparkling new car they were test driving so I said I would cycle out to their house for a coffee if they were back by then.

I set off at 10:00 and cycled out to Ham Hill then through Stoke Sub Hamdon to Martock then Ash. I stopped at the Quarterman's house at about 10:45 but they weren't home yet so I had a quick water and oatcake stop then set off for home. I'm getting out of the saddle now more and more rather than change down through the gears when I hit a hill. I'm definitely feeling better and stronger on the bike than I was 8 days ago when I started this challenge!

I was going to cycle back to Yeovil through Tintinhull and Chilthorne Domer but once I got to Tintinhull I saw a sign at a right turn to Montacute so I went that way. At one point I was coming down an incline at speed and at the bottom I could see that the road was covered in water, grit, mud, and probably cow crap so I made sure I hit it with a straight wheel so as not to slip. I hadn't accounted for the splatters from the wheels and I had to ride the rest of the way home through Montacute and Yeovil covered head to toe in mud (and poo)!

A total of just over 18 miles...

Beginning to get bitten by the cycling bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment