Tuesday 3 September 2013

The pain remains!

After yesterday's ride I was really feeling the pain in my right ankle so I made the decision not to ride this morning.  I did a few searches on the Internet and it appears as though what I am feeling is a strain in my Achilles tendon caused by too much effort without building up to it!  Oops!!

It should be fine but I'm now concerned that its going to be a problem all month but we'll just have to see.  It feels fine to walk on but when I stretch the tendon by lifting my toes up it causes some discomfort.  From what I've read it's common in runners but also cyclists can have the same problem when they pedal with the heel down causing a stretch in the tendon especially up hills.

I've just started using cycling shoes with cleats that clip to the pedals which means that the pedal position on my foot is set solid.  I'm wondering if I'm used to cycling with the pedal further back on my foot which is perhaps why I'm pushing my heels down.  I'm going to have a look at the cleats on the shoes and see if they can be slid back further and I'm also going to take more notice of my pedalling style and try to keep my foot flat!

Sod's law that this would happen to me after only two days but then again it's completely my fault for not preparing properly and attempting to hit the floor running - or should I say cycling!!

With me not getting on the bike today my total remains at 44.7 miles whilst Jon's commute today along with a scenic detour home has pushed his total to just under 70!  Tom is behind us both at 28.7 miles but that was done on a single commute to and from work so another day like that tomorrow will see him jump into second place ahead of me and close in on 60 miles.

I'm going to go out in the morning for a ride but I'm going to make it a steady one to see how my ankle is.

Mum has completed 3 one hour swims so is progressing nicely and I haven't heard from Kimberly today but Tuesdays are usually her club runs so I expect she is out on the streets as I type.

On a side note I've contacted the Western Gazette about doing an article and they are keen to write something and come and take a picture of us all so watch this space - you might be seeing my ugly mug in the paper soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment