Sunday 1 September 2013

1st September - A ride in three parts and three different paces!

So the first day of the September Sweat Challenge is finally here!  I woke up fairly early and was ready to go at about 8:15am.  I was feeling a few nerves as I haven't been out on my bike for a while and wasn't sure how I would do but I set off anyway.  This was also my first time out on the road with proper cycling shoes with cleats that clips my feet to the pedals!

I started my ride by heading down into East Coker then past the reservoir and out to Halstock.  I then did a u-turn and came all the way back - 12 miles done.  I headed back out of Yeovil and rode to Ham Hill through Odcombe and then over the A303 to Martock and Ash where I stopped at my sisters house for a top up of water and a coffee - 20 miles done.

Matthew and Lucy (10 and 7) wanted to go for a ride so we had a slow meander along the Mash Cycle Route to Martock - Mash is an amalgamation of Martock and Ash and Matthew helped design the signs that are on all of the lamppost showing the way!  It took us about 50 minutes to do just 4 miles but this challenge is not about performance it's about mileage so I didn't mind and besides it was nice to get out with the kids.

When we got back to the Quarterman's house Matthew was itching to ride for longer and at a quicker pace so I said he could ride back to Yeovil with me and I would then take him home in the car.  We cycled from Ash to Tintinhull then through the lanes to Montacute and back to Yeovil.  The biggest hill of the day was Forest Hill which we joined halfway up at the pub.  Stupidly I stopped on the hill to wait for Matthew to catch up and then had the task of starting up a steep incline whilst trying to clip my feet in the pedals!  I kicked off with one foot clamped in and tried to do a couple of revolutions before putting the other foot in but my foot slid off the pedal and I came extremely close to falling over sideways as I tried to put my foot down which was clipped in!  Luckily I just managed to rip my foot out and put it down before landing in a heap on the pavement!  Second time of setting off was a bit better but it was still hard trying to clip in while pushing upwards...  Lesson learned - don't stop on a hill!!

Mum completed here 1 hour swim today at 8am, just 29 more to go!  Kimberly has done two of her four weeks training and will run the half marathon in just two more weeks' time.

Jon has been out for his first ride and as expected did just over 40 miles to take an early lead.  I don't think Tom will be riding today as he is in a 36 hole golf competition but I'm expecting a big ride from him tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy my blog throughout this month I'll try to keep in interesting.  Please leave me a comment either on here or on Facebook and please please sponsor us by going to www.justgiving.com/septembersweat/.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment